My mom always used to make the cut-out cookies, dyed green, and cut out with a shamrock cutter. She would also make a green sheet cake she would cut into a shamrock shape and frost with green frosting. I always thought half the fun of St. Patrick’s Day was eating green food!
In the interest of giving you a different recipe, here’s one I thought looked good. These are called Shamrock Drops, though I think you could make them any color. They remind me of another cookie I make sometimes (and might put on here later…)
1 c butter-softened
2 c flour
6 T sugar
1/4 c milk
1 oz confetti candy (multi-colored non-pareils) — just green could be cute too!
1 t vanilla or almond extract or 1/4 t mint extract
1/4 t salt
green food coloring
- Mix butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Blend flour and salt and add alternately to butter mixture with milk and extract (add food coloring to milk so it gets into dough evenly).
- Add in confetti and mix well. Dough will be stiff.
- Roll into 1″ balls and flatten slightly.
- Bake on greased cookie sheets at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Do not let them brown.
- Cool and roll in powdered sugar.